Plaza Independencia, s/n Madrid (Madrid)
Located in the heart of Madrid, its origins stem from the reign of Felipe IV, when the Buen Retiro Palace was built on the initiative of Count Duke of Olivares. During the reign of Carlos III the Astronomic Observatory and Royal Porcelain Factory in the Buen Retiro were added. During the French invasion of 1808, the palace was practically destroyed and was used as a barracks. Restoration began during the time of Fernando VII, the time when the jetty of the lake and Casa de Fieras were built. With the First Republic the park became property of the Town Council of Madrid. In 1935 it was declared Garden of Historic-Artistic Importance.
Timetables: 1 October to 30 April, 7am-10pm. 1 May to 30 September, 7am-midnight.
Entry fee: Open access.